Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Saying Goodbye

I vividly remember the first time I had to say "goodbye". I remember the hurt, the loneliness, and the fear of the unknown. I was 7 years old when I had to say goodbye to my best friend whom I had lived next door to for 5 years. She was the only neighbor my age on our lonely dirt road out in the country of Santa Rosa, CA. So the day we backed the station wagon out of the driveway for the last time in order to move 2 1/2 hours away and we made our way down that dirt road, I wondered when I would see her again and if I'd ever make another friend like her.

Not too long after our move, I made a wonderful new friend. Our families were totally different but I loved the time spent at her house with her 5 siblings. It was loud and crazy and so much fun! Three years later her dad was transferred for work and I rarely saw her after that.

In junior high, I acquired a new best friend who was the complete opposite of me. She was totally girly and I was all tomboy. She wore pretty dresses and played in piano recitals. I wore sweat pants and played every sport. Somehow we fit together. Within a couple of years she and her family returned to their home state of Oklahoma. Although our visits since then have been few, I am so fortunate she remains a dear friend!

Throughout the college years I had to say goodbye to many friends as some transferred schools and even as I transferred from Boise St. to Butler University. And of course upon graduation there were more goodbyes. Most of those friends I've seen only once or twice in the past 15 years.

But no matter how many goodbyes I've had to say, it doesn't get any easier. Today I had to say "farewell" to one of my dearest friends. Knowing she will return in 3 years or that Skype will keep us connected hardly seems to bring much comfort. You see, this friend isn't moving across town nor to another state. It's not even a desirable location to visit. My dear friend is moving to a city where three-quarters of the 16 million tightly-packed residents live in the slums; where the government can not be trusted; and where she and her family will not be able to navigate the city without a native guide. Within the next 48 hours she will call Lagos, Nigeria "home".

My only comfort is found in knowing that my God goes with her, even BEFORE her. That He has plans to prosper her and not to harm her. And that He hears all my prayers for her.

Goodbye sweet friend.

3 comments:

  1. That is so amazing! Does your friend keep a blog about her journey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel any better I miss them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw. I just now finally read this. I love you too, sweet friend. Thank you for such a kind post. Our hearts have not left home! : )

    ReplyDelete