Thursday, January 26, 2012

Why?

Why? It's the word that I hear most often out of the mouth of my soon-to-be three year old. For a few months now she's been asking "WHY?" and I hoped it would be a short-lived phase, but it seems to be sticking around for awhile.

She wants to know why I put my pants on like that. Why do we have to wait at the red light? Why do I comb my hair like that? Why do we wash the dishes like that? Why do we have the turn the TV off? Why? Why? Why?

Most of the questions are valid. And usually I have a pretty good answer. At least I think I give a good answer. But inevitably, the first WHY is always followed by another WHY. And then another....and another. My answer is never good enough and I usually have to end the conversation with, "That's just the way it is, sweetie."

So, this morning as we were sitting at the breakfast table, I was shocked when my answer to her WHY was finally satisfactory.

We were sitting across the table from one another; just the two of us (Chris had already left early for work and Josie was in the bathroom brushing her teeth). She was munching away on her Cinnamon Toast Crunch and I was enjoying my peanut butter flavored Puffins while I read out of the 4th chapter in the book of James. I picked up my pen and underlined a portion of verse 7 and 8 then wrote a "P" for promise in the margin and circled it. (James 4:7-8 Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you.) And that's when our conversation started.

Izzy: Why do you have that pen?

Me: So I can mark in my bible.

Izzy: Why?

Me: So I can underline God's promises to us.

Izzy: Why?

Me: So I can remember them.

Izzy: Why?

Me: So I can be more like Jesus.

Izzy: Hmm *with a nod of her head and a look of satisfaction*

Really?!! Did I just answer the question that never seems have a good enough answer?? I FINALLY answered the WHY and she accepted it.

And then I thought, isn't that funny?

"Jesus" was the answer.

I should of known.

Jesus is ALWAYS the answer.

1 comment:

  1. I'm just sitting here smiling!! I love this. Beautiful. Perfect. Good job, Momma!

    ReplyDelete